See the new Closing The Reading Gap book in action! The hotly anticipated sequel to the best-selling course and book, Closing The Vocabulary Gap. With the teaching of reading now a main inspection activity this course is unmissable for all teachers, middle leaders, literacy leaders, and SLTs of all subjects and phases Key Stages 1 - 4.
Alex works at the coalface distilling how and why literacy is crucial to social mobility. As a former Director of the Huntington Research School, English teacher, TES and Teach Secondary columnist, and supporter of schools across the country with reading and vocabulary, Alex knows what really works in the classroom.
Tools To Bridge The Gap In All Classrooms
- Practical solutions for teachers across the curriculum with explicit direction on how to implement.
- Researched methods translated into real-life practice strategies, resources, and classroom activities.
- From whole school reading missions, to effective whole class reading ideas, to individual reading plans incorporating a wide range of age appropriate stories, poems, rhymes, and nonfiction.
- Fluency strategies, quality book talk ideas, and metacognition reading insights.
- Writing tasks proven to boost comprehension.
The Importance Of Academic Reading To Your Curriculum
- Why is reading the key to every pupil accessing a challenging, academic curriculum?
- How well can you ensure academic reading is embedded into all aspects of your curriculum development?
- Align curriculum development with academic reading and champion academic language use daily.
- What does a well-organised system for teaching reading across phases and Key Stages look like?
- Understand reading development, assessment (short and long term, standardised and otherwise) and goal setting.
The Reading Gap: Identify. Diagnose. Remedy.
- What are the major and minor barriers to reading progress at all Key Stages?
- What are the myths and truths behind dyslexia and other common reading difficulties in the classroom.
- How to better foresee and forecast problems before they hinder.
- How and which texts are vital to overcoming difficulties and transformative to students’ passion for reading.
How To Teach Reading
- The history and science of reading: the crucial knowledge and evidenced best practice in reading.
- Using what we know: make every teacher an expert in teaching reading.
- Understand how academic reading fuels word rich, confident learning whilst boosting reader’s skill and will to read.
- Recognise crucial differences in subject-specific reading.
- Explore authentic reading school cultures at all phases and spearhead your own.
Who should attend
Classroom teachers across all phases, and literacy leaders and senior leadership teams who want to slam shut the reading gap.
The course has been designed for all subjects and Key Stage 1 - 4.
- 1 delegate place £289 + VAT
- 2 delegate places £489* + VAT (Save £89)
- 1 Live & Online place £195 + VAT (introduction price - booked before 8th November
- 1 Live and Online place £225 + VAT (from 9th November)
LIVE & ONLINE (Hybrid) OPTION
If you are not able to join one of our in-peron masterclasses then join Alex virtually. We will be bringing together our physical and virtual delegates into one live collaborative experience. Teachology Education has teamed up with award-winning technology and software provider Glisser to combine live video and interactive slide sharing so you can fully engage in the virtual masterclass and receive the same content and training live.
Please note the timings for this course are 10am - 3.20pm (same as physical course).
The price is £195 + VAT per person but should you wish to book a larger group please call Chris 07917116288 (introduction price - book before 9th November)