What is Leadership?
- What is the difference between leadership and management?
- Finding the balance between the two.
- Leadership and change.
- What does research show are the most effective skills in leadership?
- What are your own strengths and weaknesses?
- Developing your own capacity.
Definition of Middle Leaders
Primary Secondary or FE teachers who are taking responsibility for all (or part) of a Year group, subject area, cross curricular area or pastoral theme.
- What do Headteachers want from their Middle leaders?
- How to demonstrate these skills at interview.
- What are Inspectors (OFSTED/ ESTYN/ ISI) looking for in Middle leaders?
- How to demonstrate these skills in inspection.
- Is there ever enough time for a Middle leader? Some basic tips.
- Focusing on the child – the leader’s imperative.
- Action Plans – how to make them work for you and for the school.
Working as a Team
- Styles of Leadership.
- Tips for dealing with people who aren’t the same as you (particularly the difficult ones).
- Evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of those you work with.
- The Wisdom of Crowds (how different can be good).
- Creating the environment for the team to talk, share and collaborate.
- Developing a team ethos.
- Inducting new staff and getting ‘buy-in’ from ‘old’ ones.
- Leading Up – working positively with those who have more senior roles than you do.
Who should attend
- Anyone aspiring to Middle leadership.
- Anyone in their first three years of being a middle leader.
- Anyone with responsibility for leading others.